If you could do something to make your dishwasher run more efficiently, wouldn’t you? Luckily, there are multiple things you can do that will get you the most out of your dishwasher.
- No Pre-Wash – This is one of the biggest mistakes you can make before starting up the dishwasher. All food should be scraped off of plates before they enter the dishwasher, but you do not have to pre-wash them. The dish soap will need something to cling to and if there are no visible food stains it won’t be as effective.
- Perfect Load Size – Not loading a dishwasher up to capacity is a surefire way to spend a lot of unnecessary money on your water bill. Always wait until the dishwasher is filled before you run this appliance. However, don’t overcrowd your dishwasher because some items might not get fully cleaned.
- Vinegar Wash – Dishwasher maintenance is important in keeping it running efficiently. Once per month, add 1 cup of vinegar to an empty dishwasher and let it run for a cycle. This will remove any old food particles, limescale buildup, and foul odors.
- Perfect Water Temperature – The water used in your dishwasher should be hot enough to clean the dishes, but not too hot where flash drying can occur. Head to your hot water heater and set it to an efficient 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Setting this temperature will also expose you to a world of savings on your energy bills.
- Clean Trap – After every couple of dishwasher cycles you should clean out the appliance’s trap. Remove any food particles and other debris so there can be an open path for water to quickly drain. Luckily, many dishwasher models have removable traps for easy cleaning.
Applying these tips to your everyday life will help your dishwasher run more efficiently. When your dishwasher is under performing, service and repair may be needed. For all appliance repairs, contact the pros at Tri-City Appliance, Plumbing, Heating & Cooling by calling (203) 303-5700.