The refrigerator is an appliance that houses food and drinks of all different types. With the amount of items it can hold and how often it is used, there’s no doubt that it will get messy from time to time. Keeping your refrigerator organized and clean will make it easier to store items as well as increasing its efficiency.
- The Working Parts – Refrigerator coils and condensers remove heat from the inside and relocate it to the outside of the appliance. The condenser and coils will compile a good amount of dust and dirt since it is on the backside, pushed up against a wall. Pull the refrigerator away from the wall and clean the working parts to keep the appliance from overworking itself.
- Cleaning the Inside – First, remove all items from the refrigerator until it is completely empty. Grab a vacuum and throw on the brush attachment to suck up any loose debris on shelves and in drawers. Afterwards, wipe down the entire inside because there will be a good amount of spills and sticky spots.
- Assessing the Internal Items – Before putting food and drink items back into the refrigerator, go through them and throw out anything that is expired. You’ll be surprised to find how many things are past their expiration date. It’s also a good idea to wipe down all containers, jars, and bottles. If it left a sticky ring on the shelf, then chances are the item itself is sticky.
- Temperature Based – The newest items in a refrigerator should be stored towards the back and vice versa. Ideally you want to use older food and drink items first before opening up a new package or bottle. This way nothing will ever run the risk of being forgotten or expired.
- Bi-Weekly Maintenance – Cleaning out your refrigerator should not be an annual event. The more often you clean it, the less work you will have to do each time. A light cleaning every two weeks will take merely a few minutes, rather than cleaning it every couple of months and taking a few hours.
The refrigerator is the most used appliance in a household. For something that is constantly running and storing things, it should be cleaned frequently. During the cleaning of your refrigerator, if you happen to notice unusual noises or a lack of coolness, give Tri-City Heating and Cooling a call. We’ll help diagnose and repair any problems your refrigerator may encounter. To schedule a service, contact us at (203) 303-5700 today!