When it comes to the silent but deadly gas Carbon Monoxide (CO) — you should always be prepared. Since Co is an odorless, colorless, tasteless, gas — carbon monoxide detectors have become a staple in most homes, but you should still know the signs. Beyond spotting a leak there are also many ways to prevent it, and we have a few of the important ones below:
The first step is prevention! Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home and inspect them often. Do you have gas appliances? Check them regularly for leaks. Another tip for prevention is to schedule regular maintenance for your central air conditioning unit. During the appointment, a technician will check for leaks that can’t be found with the naked eye. All these little tasks can help prevent a major health issue down the road!
Watch For Symptoms
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning often go overlooked because they often mimic the flu. Headaches, nausea, lightheadedness, and extreme fatigue can all be signs that you’ve been exposed to CO fumes. If you and your family have these symptoms and more, it might be time to visit your physician. If they suspect that you may have a leak, you’ll need to find the cause of it.
Though your nose won’t know when you have a carbon monoxide leak — there are other indicators. Appliances that are not properly ventilated or that are in an enclosed space can lead to a dangerous CO leak. If you have a pilot light on your gas stove, check it. Signs of carbon monoxide emission would be your flames turning yellow instead of blue, and the pilot light continually going out. Knowing where the leak is coming from is vital to fixing the issue.
Carbon monoxide is dubbed the “silent killer” for a reason, which is why you should be over cautious with your preventative measures. When your natural gas heating system keeps sounding off your carbon monoxide detector, contact Tri-City Heating and Cooling. To learn more or to schedule a heating repair, contact (203) 303-5700.