Whenever fuel sources such as gasoline, natural gas, propane, oil, and coal do not burn completely, carbon monoxide is created as a byproduct Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that can kill anyone if they’re exposed to too much of it. In order to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning at your home, be sure to follow a few simple rules.
- Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed in the kitchen, outside of each sleeping area in the home, and in other rooms that are required by state law.
- All CO detectors should be linked for maximum protection. If one of the alarms goes off, they should all go off to alert other members of the family on opposites ends of the house.
- If you don’t know what number to call when your CO detectors sound, contact your local fire department’s non-emergency line. Once you have the correct number, save this in your contacts list.
- Detectors will sound when the batteries are low. Check the batteries and replace them if necessary. However, if the alarm is still going off after changing the batteries, contact the emergency phone number you got from the fire department.
- When the alarm does sound and it is not a drill, vacate the house and stand outside in the fresh air until help arrives.
- Never start your car or run a generator inside of the garage. Both engines will emit carbon monoxide that can easily build up in any given area.
Carbon monoxide is dubbed the “silent killer” for a reason, which is why you should be over cautious with your preventative measures. When your natural gas heating system keeps sounding off your carbon monoxide detector, contact Tri-City Heating and Cooling. To learn more or to schedule a heating repair, contact (203) 303-5700.