Skip to Content

Understanding Carbon Monoxide


Carbon Monoxide is a serious topic that everyone should be knowledgeable of. Without the basic understanding of this poisonous gas you could be one of the 15,000 people that are sent to the hospital each year from it. Here is some key information about Carbon Monoxide:

Where Does It Come From?
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is caused by any fuel that does not completely burn.

  • Wood
  • Gasoline
  • Coal
  • Propane
  • Natural Gas
  • Heating Oil

Any piece of equipment that runs off of these fuels can create carbon monoxide as a byproduct. Automobiles, fireplaces, ovens, heating systems, clothes dryers, etc. can all help create this hazardous gas.

What Does It Do?
When carbon monoxide is inhaled it will essentially replace any oxygen in your lungs. Instead of oxygen attaching to your hemoglobin, carbon monoxide will take its place. This will starve your body of oxygen, ultimately damaging your lungs, brain, and nerve tissue. Too much inhalation of this gas will result in severe brain and lung damage, or death.

How to Detect It?
The only effective way to detect the presence of carbon monoxide is to install CO detectors throughout your home. There are different variations of detectors, but each one will have a sensor that can pick up on harmful amounts of carbon monoxide. Once the alarm is triggered the device will not reset until there are no traces of the gas.

Everyone should take the time to understand the basics of carbon monoxide, otherwise you risk falling victim to it. If your heating system or appliances are old, they run the risk of emitting carbon monoxide. Contact the experts at Tri-City Appliance Heating & Cooling for all repairs and replacements — we’ll make sure your home stays CO free! To learn more, or to schedule a service, give us a call at (203) 303-5700.