It may not feel like it right now, but it is winter and the freezing temperatures will be here soon. Take advantage of the warm winter weather by assessing your home furnace. Readying your heating system with routine maintenance should always be done before for the impending cold weather arrives.
- Change the furnace filter, as well as buying a few for the next few months. Normal, disposable air filters should be replaced each month to ensure high air quality and an efficient heating system.
- Looking to ditch the disposable filters? Upgrade to a HEPA filter for maximum air quality and an increased efficiency out of your HVAC system. They do cost more than the normal filters, but you will surely benefit more in the long run.
- Shut your furnace down and head to the inside where the working parts are. Inspect the blower belt and replace it if there are any cracks or if it looks damaged. Purchase a second belt in case the new one ever breaks in the middle of a cold winter’s night.
- Clean the area around your furnace and make sure there is nothing too close to it. Any clutter can block airflow and decrease your heating system’s efficiency.
- Have a professional come and inspect the furnace and heating system for broken or malfunctioning parts. It’s better to have it serviced by an expert now so you don’t have to call on one of the coldest nights of the year.
Preparing your furnace should be done every year to ensure that you will have working heat throughout the winter. Hiring a professional technician is your best bet for a complete furnace service and the experts at Tri-City Heating and Cooling are here and ready for your call! To learn more, or to schedule an appointment, give us a call at (203) 303-5700.