Each month you look at your utility bill and say the same thing, “Why is this bill so high?” This is especially true in the winter months when you are inside more with the heating system turned on. Fortunately, there are ways to save money on your utility bills during the winter.
- Ceiling Fans – Switch the rotation of your fan blades to spin clockwise. This will push all of the warm air that has risen, back down to ground level. Doing so will allow for an even temperature throughout the room, which will prevent your heating system from overworking itself.
- Colder Nights – Each night before you go to bed, lower the thermostat at least 10 degrees. This can save you around 10 percent on your utility bills. Invest in some good pajamas and blankets and you won’t even notice the difference.
- Zone Heating – Why heat the entire house when you can just heat the rooms you commonly use? By utilizing zone heating you can heat the most used rooms in your home and hold off on other rooms that are used sparingly. There’s no sense in heating the guest rooms if you’re not hosting any company.
- Lights – Many people decorate the inside and outside of their homes with lights during the month of December. Throw away any old holiday lights you may have and purchase new LED lights. These new lights last longer, overheat less, and use less energy than traditional lighting.
- Maintenance – An old, un-serviced heating system is going to have to work a lot harder to do its job. By servicing your heating system at least once per year and performing monthly maintenance, you can improve the efficiency of your unit.
With just a few tips, you can shave a little extra off of your utility bills each month. Making sure your heating system is serviced and within its lifespan is the most important tip of all. With Tri-City Heating and Cooling on your side, you can always have the most efficient heating system possible! To learn more, or to schedule a service, give us a call at (203) 303-5700.